Violence or humiliation isn't sexy; about time fashion industry accepts that
As much as I love the make-up and other aesthetics, the positioning of Sadaf Kanwal's foot on Iman Malik's face is beyond understanding. What is the publication trying to show here? That it's totally okay and normal to have someone put their feet on your face? To be treated as a slave? Or that humiliation is sexy? And women 'like' being humiliated.
In ancient cultures, where slavery existed, it was considered normal for masters to put their feet on their slaves' faces. But this isn't an ancient culture. This is the 21st century - slavery isn't being endorsed anymore and there are laws against it. Humiliating anyone is also against basic human rights - as per article 3 of the Human Rights Act.
This sort of portrayal not only hurts the dignity of one's self but also real world consequences. For instance, a study on "Gender and Sex" found out that the constant objectification of women, the romanticizing of violence and major themes of male power in media and fashion industry actually led many "real-life rapists to believe that women 'enjoy' sadomasochistic sex, being humiliated or 'like' being forced."
While the rest of the world is trying to give a voice to and empower women, we are still degrading and humiliating them in the name of culture, fashion, and entertainment. Despite all these laws and regulations, the portrayal of violence or humiliation by the fashion industry is condemnable and people are finally speaking up against it:
Maybe it's time to revolutionize the industry and actually empower women instead of objectifying them.
- Saudi man linked to Jamal Khashoggi's murder arrested in Paris11:55 PM | 7 Dec, 2021
- BBC's 100 women of 2021: Who is on the list from Pakistan this time?11:19 PM | 7 Dec, 2021
- Sialkot lynching: Pakistan announces lifetime salary for the family ...10:45 PM | 7 Dec, 2021
- Katrina Kaif and Vicky Kaushal in legal trouble ahead of ‘wedding’09:42 PM | 7 Dec, 2021
- Asim Azhar gives a witty response to crowd chanting Hania Aamir's name06:10 PM | 7 Dec, 2021