Lahore on high alert after Anarkali Bazaar blast death toll rises to three
Over two dozen people hospitalised with injuries in Punjab capital
LAHORE – The death toll in a blast at Lahore's Anarkali Bazaar has surged to three, with 25 others injured as the Punjab capital city remains on high alert.
A heavy contingent of police rushed to the blast site – a prize bond shop – in at Paan Mandi near Lahore’s historic Walled City. Police took control of the situation and cordoned off the blast site.
The wounded were rushed to the nearby Mayo Hospital. The deceased have been identified as 38-year-old Ramzan, resident of Ferozewala, a child aged 10-12 named Zeeshan, and a youth named Yasir, hospital officials said.
The windows of nearby shops and buildings left shattered due to the blast.
The shop caught fire after the explosion reducing it to ashes as forensic experts said that a time device was used to detonate the bomb.
Police earlier said that it appeared to be a cylinder blast while the Rescue 112 officials said it looked like a bomb blast.
Punjab IGP took notice of the blast and sought a report from Lahore CCPO.
Lahore Deputy Inspector-General of Operations Dr Muhammad Abid Khan told the media that the investigation was in the initial stages and the nature of the blast was being ascertained.
The police official said the blast caused a 1.5 feet-deep-hole in the ground, while the injured people had been shifted to Mayo Hospital.
Politicians express sorrow
Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar condemned the incident and ordered authorities to arrest the people responsible for the blast. "The government stands with the affectees in their times of sorrow."
Opposition Leader in the National Assembly Shehbaz Sharif said the blast at the historic marketplace was "upsetting", as poor people and innocent children lost their lives and were injured as a result of the incident.
لاہور کے زندہ دل اور تاریخی علاقے انار کلی میں دھماکے سے قیمتی جانی نقصان پر بے حد دکھ اور افسوس ہے۔ معصوم بچےاورغریب افراد اس میں نشانہ بنے جو انتہائی قابل مذمت ہے۔جاں بحق ہونے والوں کے اہل خانہ سے دلی تعزیت کرتے ہیں۔اسلام آباد کے بعد لاہور میں دہشت گردی ملک کے لئے نیک فال نہیں!— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) January 20, 2022
PML-N vice-president Maryam Nawaz and also condemned the blast and said a blast taking occurring at an extremely crowding place was concerning. "May Allah have mercy on the families and Pakistan," she said.
انار کلی بازار جسے پر ہجوم اور مصروف ترین علاقہ میں دھماکہ ایک نہایت افسوسناک اور تشویشناک واقعہ ہے۔ ایک بچے سمیت ۳ افراد جاں بحق اور درجنوں افراد زخمی ہو گئے۔ اللّہ ان سب پر، انکے خاندانوں پر اور پاکستان پر رحم فرمائے 🤲🏼— Maryam Nawaz Sharif (@MaryamNSharif) January 20, 2022
PPP Senator Sherry Rehman said she was sorry to hear about the blast and expressed that her heart goes out to the affected families.
Shocked and sorry to hear about the blast in Lahore. Many injured and some fatally so? Three? Heart goes out to their families. https://t.co/CL0o3bFvva— SenatorSherryRehman (@sherryrehman) January 20, 2022
- Imran Khan’s remarks about Maryam Nawaz widely condemned11:41 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Kashmir Premier League to invite Indian cricketer Virat Kohli to ...11:05 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Imran says PTI's core committee to decide final date for Islamabad ...10:30 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Raja Riaz appointed Opposition leader in National Assembly09:45 PM | 20 May, 2022
- PNS Badar: Pakistan Navy launches MILGEM-class ship09:12 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Watch - Hania Aamir ignores Iqra Aziz at 'Parde Mein Rehne Do' ...07:38 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Nora Fatehi and Kriti Sanon jump onto the ‘Pasoori’ bandwagon06:32 PM | 20 May, 2022
- TikToker Dolly's new dance video goes viral05:30 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022