Kuwait shuts Iran cultural mission, expels diplomats over ‘spy cell’
KUWAIT CITY - Kuwait has ordered Iran to close the Iranian cultural mission and related offices in the Gulf Arab state following a court case which implicated "Iranian parties" of involvement in a spy cell, state news agency KUNA said on Thursday.
Last year Kuwait convicted 23 men - one Iranian and the rest Kuwaiti - of spying for Iran and Lebanese militant group Hezbollah after a cache of guns and explosives were discovered in a raid of the so-called "Abdali cell" in 2015.
Qatar seeks Pakistan's help in diffusing Gulf ... 06:16 PM | 18 Jul, 2017
ISLAMABAD - Qatar has urged Pakistan to play a part in diffusing the growing Gulf diplomatic crisis which started after ...
Last month, the Kuwait 's supreme court sentenced the suspected leader of the cell to life in jail and condemned 20 others to various prison terms.
The KUNA report further said the Iranian ambassador to Kuwait has been notified.
State Minister for Cabinet Affairs Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah al-Sabah, who is also acting information minister, confirmed that Kuwait had taken diplomatic action against Iran but declined to specify the measures.
"Following the supreme court ruling on the case ... the government of Kuwait has decided to take measures, in accordance with diplomatic norms and the Vienna Convention , towards its relations with the Islamic Republic of Iran ," said al-Sabah added.
Qatar says Kuwait trying to defuse diplomatic ... 11:57 AM | 6 Jun, 2017
DOHA — Qatar Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed Bin Abdulrahman on Tuesday said that Kuwait was making effort to defuse ...
The row comes as Kuwait attempts to mediate an end to the Gulf 's worst diplomatic crisis in years, after Saudi Arabia , Bahrain , Egypt and the United Arab Emirates cut ties with Qatar over accusations it supports "terrorism", an allegation Doha rejects as "baseless".
- Female polio vaccinator killed in Swabi firing incident06:32 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan rejects Indian PM Modi's war-mongering remarks06:10 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Malaysia in talks with Pakistan to import security guards04:39 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Of the Sellers of Gender Stereotypes04:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- TDAP participating in Argentina textile fair in April03:42 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Priyanka Chopra in final talks to join The Matrix 403:19 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Humayun Saeed thanks fans for showering love on MPTH's team02:49 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Shah Rukh Khan's Pakistani cousin passes away in Peshawar02:15 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019