Afghans go to polls amid serious security concerns
The polls opened at 7 a.m. local time (0230GMT), with some reported delays, and will continue till 4 p.m (1130GMT).
President Ashraf Ghani and First Lady Rula Ghani cast their votes. Speaking to reporters, the president said that efforts are underway to hold elections in two provinces Ghazni and Kandahar where the poll was postponed due to law and order situation.
According to the country’s election authority, at least 8.8 million people are expected to vote for 2,500 candidates who are running for the Wolesi Jirga (lower house of the parliament).
More than 70,000 security personnel have been assigned to ensure the security of the parliamentary elections, the Ministry of Interior and Defence said.
- Sindh earmarks Rs22.8 billion for college education08:22 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Pakistani mangoes hit Singapore markets07:55 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan cuts steel for fourth MILGEM-Class corvette ship (VIDEO)07:37 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- realme conducts first-ever Global Launch Event to unveil realme GT & ...07:15 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan win silver at Asian Taekwondo Poomsae Championship06:57 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Feroze Khan opens up about second marriage04:07 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat wants the Muslim misrepresentation in movies to change05:10 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Lost Cause - Alizeh Shah is a Billie Eilish fan girl03:21 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021