Russia offers petrol supply to Pakistan on delayed payments
ISLAMABAD – Russia has reportedly expressed readiness to supply petrol to Pakistan on deferred payments, a move that will provide a breathing room to the flood-hit South Asia country facing economic crisis.
A major chunk of Pakistan’s foreign exchange reserves is utilized to import petroleum products. However, the supply of oil on delayed payments will not only stablise the forex reserves but also save the country from defaulting on its international obligations regarding repayment of loans.
The development comes days after Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif held meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putting on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) in Samarkand.
Reports said that both high ups discussed matters related to oil, gas and wheat supplies to Pakistan from Russia during the meeting.
The US has also not raised any objection over the proposed deal amid Pakistan's economic woes deepened further after massive floods.
The Pakistani government is yet to confirm the development officially.
On September 15, Putin during his meeting with Shehbaz Sharif expressed his willingness to supply gas to South Asian country. Pipeline gas supplies to Pakistan were possible and that part of the necessary infrastructure was already in place, Putin said.
Recalling bilateral ties with Pakistan, the Russian president termed Islamabad a priority partner in Southeast Asia and Asia as a whole, saying relations between the two sides are developing positively.
He also expressed condolences over the loss of life from natural disasters, and the unprecedented flooding in Pakistan.
Russia-Pakistan gas pipeline possible, Putin ... 07:23 PM | 15 Sep, 2022
TASHKENT – Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday met Russian President Vladimir Putin in Samarkand, ...
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...10:26 AM | 9 Dec, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 09 December 202210:09 AM | 9 Dec, 2022
- President Alvi calls for reducing political polarisation to achieve ...09:40 AM | 9 Dec, 2022
- Ali Zafar suggests practices to subside anxiety11:47 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- 'Parizaad' famed Ilma Jaffri dazzles fans with gorgeous bridal shoot11:35 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Tauseeq Haider to mark international debut with Turkish drama10:53 PM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list? ...10:48 AM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Top 10 most searched people on Google in Pakistan in 202206:07 PM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Pakistan's first female Supreme Court judge earns place in BBC '100 ...01:24 PM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022