Turkey converts another church into mosque after Hagia Sophia
ANKARA – Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday signed an edict to convert another historic Chora church into a mosque.
The move comes a month after famed Hagia Sohpia was opened for prayers for Muslim worshipers.
The mediaeval Church of the Holy Saviour is built near the ancient city walls of Constantinople.
They Byzantine mosaics and frescoes contained by the mosque were plastered over after Muslim Ottomans conquered the city in 1453. The church was against renovated after it was converted to a museum by secular rulers of Turkey around 70 years ago.
An edict signed by Erdogan declared “the management of the Kariye Mosque be transferred to the Religious Affairs Directorate, and (the mosque) opened to worship.”
The edict does not mention when the place will be opened for Muslim worship.
- Zimbabwe to visit Pakistan next month for T20, ODI matches06:25 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- 81 students test positive for coronavirus in Punjab06:17 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- GB Legislative Assembly elections to be held on November 1504:00 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Two Pakistani soldiers martyred in India firing at LoC03:52 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Tapsee Pannu defends Anurag Kashyap against sexual harassment ...03:43 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Mahira Khan looks flawless in latest pictures03:23 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Khalid Ahmad wins Best Actor Award at Harlem International Film Fest02:27 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- You’re not exactly Mother Teresa: Shaniera Akram takes a dig at ...01:25 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020