Turkey turns world-famous Hagia Sophia museum into mosque
ISTANBUL - The iconic Hagia Sophia museum in Istanbul has been turned back into a mosque after a top court ruled that the building's conversion to a museum by modern Turkey's founding statesman was illegal.
Turkey's president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has declared Istanbul's Hagia Sophia open to Muslim worship an hour after the court ruling was revealed, despite international warnings not to change the status of the monument.
The 1,500 years old building was converted into a mosque in 1453 and became a museum in 1934.
- Pakistan’s mediation between Iran, Saudi Arabia making progress: PM ...01:51 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Ex-GB governor Syed Pir Karam Ali Shah dies at 8612:58 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- COAS Bajwa interacts with senior serving, retired military officers ...12:32 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- World Bank announces new Country Director for Pakistan11:51 AM | 4 Aug, 2020
- From Acting to ‘Action!’: Saba Qamar to make directorial debut ...05:32 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Nothing Like Everything: Ayyan Ali announces first-ever music album04:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Filmmakers around the world take to part in Iran’s Resistance Film ...10:27 AM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020