LGBT-run radio cabs to hit Mumbai roads
NEW DELHI (Web Desk) - India has launched first radio taxi service for the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) community, under the banner of Wings Rainbow.
The initiative by Wings Travels and Humsafar Trust will have taxis chauffeured by LGBT community members, and is expected to start functioning in 2017, The Hindu reported.
Under the pilot programme, five members of the gay and transgender community will apply for a learner’s licence, and complete their training in getting the All India Driver’s Licence.
During the nine to 12 months it takes to get the permanent driving licences, they will also undergo customer etiquette training.
“We want them to be eventual entrepreneurs and own these vehicles,” said Arun Kharat, founder-director of Wings Travels and Management (India).
“We want to ensure that the LGBT community in India enjoys the same rights and livelihood opportunities in India as their counterparts in the West.”
In groundbreaking judgment in the NALSA vs Union of India case, the Supreme Court had affirmed the constitutional rights and freedoms of transgenders.
Wings Travels currently operates approximately 5,500 radio taxis in nine cities including Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Nagpur, and Chandigarh.
- Trump’s Mideast plan: Pakistan wants Jerusalem as capital of ...07:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Female polio vaccinator killed in Swabi firing incident06:32 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan rejects Indian PM Modi's war-mongering remarks06:10 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Malaysia in talks with Pakistan to import security guards04:39 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Of the Sellers of Gender Stereotypes04:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Priyanka Chopra in final talks to join The Matrix 403:19 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Humayun Saeed thanks fans for showering love on MPTH's team02:49 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Shah Rukh Khan's Pakistani cousin passes away in Peshawar02:15 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019