Together for Peace: WCR conference exposes 'conspiracy of extremism' ahead of Muharram
Besides minority leaders, journalists, students and academics, over 300 scholars graced a conference ‘Together for Peace’ organised by the World Council of Religions-Pakistan (WCR). A unanimous declaration was presented at the end of the conference where peace awards were also distributed among selected persons.
Prominent religious personalities of Muslims, Hindu, Christian, different sects, politicians, and government officials spoke on the occasion.
Pakistan Ulema Council Chairman Tahir Mehmood Ashraf presided over the conference, while Almi Ittihad Ahle Sunnatwal Jamat head Illyas Ghuman, Badshahi Mosque Lahore orator Allama Abdul Khabir Azad, Provincial Minister for Religious Affairs Syed Zaeem Hussain Qadri, and Provincial Minister for Minorities affairs Khalid Tahir Sindhu shed light on causes of unrest in Pakistan.
Praising the efforts of minorities in Pakistan for upholding sanctity of Islamic beliefs, the PUC chairman said Pakistan is for all and it is our mutual responsibility to protect every religious minority in the country.
He urged the government to ensure peace in the holy month, which starts from tonight (Thursday) while stressing respect for everyone’s faith.
Khalil Tahir Sindhu said that every human deserved to be paid respect beyond his religion. He termed religious extremism 'a conspiracy aimed at fanning bigotry to damage national integrity and stability'.
Ilyas Ghuman, sharing his view, termed peace and unity vital for development in Pakistan. He called upon the participants to play their role for reconciliation and raise awareness among their respective groups to downgrade the menace of extremism.
He stressed the need to beat the elements of chaos, and ending prejudice. Noman added people will be enthusiastic to make efforts to put the country on track if there is peace.
He also urged the media to join the efforts, initiated by WCP, for bringing peace to the country.
Other speakers included Bishop Irfan Jamil, Bishop Azad Marshal, Pir Shafate Rasool Noori, Dr Munawar Chand, analyst Hafizullah Khan Niazi, Bhagat Lal Khokar.
- Conflict between PPP and Cynthia Ritchie intensifies after denial of ...08:22 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PML-N’s Khawaja Salman Rafique contracts coronavirus08:11 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- What Nawaz Sharif's doing in his latest picture from London07:37 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PIA directed to control fares after overcharging complaints07:13 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PTI MNA tests positive for coronavirus as health crisis deepens in ...06:35 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Zaheer Abbas looks like Money Heist‘s 'Professor’, says Mehwish ...02:24 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pakistani celebrities who never endorsed fairness products01:50 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020