US imposes sanctions on China for buying Russian missiles, fighter jets
The Trump administration said such buying breach US sanctions on Moscow imposed over Russian action in Ukraine in 2014. The relation between Washington and Moscow also deteriorated due to alleged Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.
The US has sanctioned China’s Equipment Development Department (EDD), a wing of Chinese military responsible for weapons and equipment, and its director, Li Shangfu, for realizing any contract with Russia’s arms exporter.
China has recently bought 10 SU-35 combat aircraft, a deal strike between Beijing and Moscow in 2017, and S-400 surface-to-air missiles, an agreement held in 2018. The sanctions are related to these Chinses buying.
The US also put additional 33 people and entities associated with the Russian military and intelligence on the blacklist under the 2017 law, known as the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act, or CAATSA.
Trump has insisted there was no collusion with Russia. Moscow denies any effort to meddle in US politics.
- Pakistan reports another polio case, taking year's tally to 2011:44 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Twitter withholds Govt of Pakistan’s official account in India11:22 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Japan’s wrestling legend turned politician Antonio Inoki passes ...10:48 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Celebs lambast PIA over cabin crew's attire10:15 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Govt seeks action against Imran Khan, other PTI leaders as cypher ...09:44 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- 'First-ever Indian singer to have his own private island with a lake, ...10:14 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Saim Sadiq's Joyland nominated for Oscars by Pakistani Academy ...08:09 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Fawad Khan and Hamza Ali Abbasi exchange banter on live show11:59 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022