Football: Ronaldo hits brace as Real surge into last 16
NICOSIA - Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema both scored twice as holders Real Madrid crushed APOEL 6-0 in Nicosia to seal a place in the Champions League last 16.
Luka Modric volleyed Zinedine Zidane's team into the lead on 23 minutes before Real floored Cypriot champions APOEL with five goals in a 15-minute blitz either side of half-time.
"It was a very good evening for us," said Zidane, whose side fell 10 points behind Barcelona in La Liga following Saturday s 0-0 draw away to city rivals Atletico Madrid.
"We are on the right track. We re doing things well and we are building in strength. It's never easy but it was a complete display and we scored quickly," he added.
"These goals are important for us and very important for Cristiano and Karim because they live to score goals."
But the European champions could face Pep Guardiola s Manchester City in the next round after Tottenham Hotspur s 2-1 win at Borussia Dortmund ensured the English side will finish top of Group H.
"We know that whoever the opposition, they will all be good," said Zidane. "We are going to play a team that will have finished top of their group which means they will be very solid."
Real struck first through Croatia midfielder Modric s dipping 25-yard volley before Benzema burst through the home defence to add a second on 39 minutes.
Centre-back Nacho reacted quickest to Raphael Varane's flick-on from a corner to increase Real's advantage two minutes later, and Benzema rolled in his second moments before the break after Ronaldo selflessly squared for the Frenchman.
However, he remains the leading scorer in this year's Champions League and netted Real's fifth in Cyprus when he connected with a Marcelo cross on 49 minutes.
The 32-year-old completed the rout five minutes later by notching his eighth goal of the group stage to downplay concerns about his poor form amid Real s faltering Spanish title defence.
APOEL, who go to Wembley to face Tottenham in their final match, must better Dortmund s result at Real in a fortnight to parachute into the last 32 of the Europa League.-Online
- Pakistan Navy ships MOAWIN, ASLAt visit Port Victoria11:25 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Over 5,000 prisoners suffering from HIV/AIDS, fatal diseases in ...10:27 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019