Govt to issue Sukuk bonds against Islamabad’s Fatima Jinnah Park
Sukuk is the Arabic name for financial certificates, also known as "sharia-compliant" bonds
ISLAMABAD – The federal government has decided to place 750 acres of the F-9 Park Islamabad as a guarantee for launching the Islamic-denominated Ijara Sukuk bond at domestic and international markets to fetch $500 million to $1 billion for building up reserves and providing budgetary support.
Finance Ministry on Sunday clarified that Sukuk were Shariah-compliant borrowing instruments backed by physical assets, and was structured so as to pay returns on investment as rent instead of interest by utilizing an underlying asset.
According to a statement of the Finance Ministry, Sukuk is not only issued to support the budgetary position of the government but to promote Islamic banking finance in the country as well.
A meeting of the federal cabinet scheduled to held on January 26 includes the issuance of domestic and International Ijara Sukuk in the agenda.
The Ministry of Finance has sent the summary to the cabinet for approval while Capital Development Authority has issued No Objection Certificate (NOC).
The government of Pakistan had issued Sukuk a number of times, which were backed by assets such Motorways and Jinnah International Airport.
Earlier in 2019, the PTI government issued Islamic Sukuk bond amounting to Rs200 billion ($1.44 billion) for payment of circular debt by against state-owned power companies.
Malaysia has been the global leader in Sukuk market other than Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Oman, Jordan, Turkey, Morrocco and Indonesia.
Pakistan approves Rs200 billion Islamic Sukuk to ... 03:35 PM | 29 Jan, 2019
ISLAMABAD – The Economic Coordination Committee has approved to launch Islamic Sukuk bond amounting to Rs200 billion ...
- PSL6, Match 6 - Islamabad United beat Karachi Kings by 5 wickets10:53 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- COVID-19 – Pakistan announces to allow indoor dinning, weddings in ...10:01 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Twitteratis react after world’s largest stadium renamed after ...09:37 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Karachi Kings’ Babar and Sharjeel set highest opening partnership ...08:50 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Hassan Ali and Chris Gayle shake a leg on the Googly Challenge04:50 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Indian TikToker turns out to be Shoaib Akhtar’s doppelgänger02:50 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Shaniera Akram reminds netizens to 'Pawri' with their masks on02:30 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021