US enlists Pakistan’s help to track user who threatened Donald Trump
The request for the help was confirmed by Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) on Monday which informed the National Assembly Standing Committee that the US authorities had contacted the FIA last week, with a complaint that someone had threatened the US leader.
However, he said that they had been unable to identify the suspect so far.
The FIA officials also admitted that it was hard to track down people who posted blasphemous content on social media.
Moreover, FIA Cyber Crimes director, retired Capt Muhammad Shoaib informed the lawmakers that it was difficult to track the social media users who posted images showing Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan as Lord Shiva.
Trump seeks support of 'Pakistan's mystery man’ ... 01:24 PM | 21 Apr, 2018
WASHINGTON - US President Donald Trump has announced to counter the multimillion-dollar lawsuit filed by the Democratic ...
Mr Shoaib also explained that 17 accounts had been identified from where the doctored pictures of Imran Khan had been posted adding that about 15 of them were based in India, and only two of them were operated from Pakistan.
"One of the users had deleted the post but the other still carried it," confirmed the official.
On the insistence of MNA Ramesh Lal about why the culprits were not being nabbed, Mr Shoaib informed the committee that operators of social media sites concealed information about users, especially politicians.
“We can only block Facebook in Pakistan but it will create a problem,” he admitted
Upon this, Committee chairperson Umerzadi Tiwana directed the FIA and the PTA to take up the matter again and submit a report within a week.
“If the issue is not addressed, as a last option we can go for the shut down of social media because we cannot put the lives of people at risk,” she said.
In a separate interaction with Dawn News, Mr Shoaib revealed that the US authorities - on the issue of threats to Trump - had been advised to contact the FIA through diplomatic channels i.e Foreign Office.
- School of Tomorrow – The World's Premier Schools & Societies ...10:08 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- 10 new COVID-19 rapid response units inaugurated through Pakistan-US ...09:58 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 247,000 cases of coronavirus – 5,157 confirmed ...09:03 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan Stock Exchange returns to regular operational hours on Monday08:48 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- No more announced load shedding in Karachi from tomorrow, says Asad ...08:09 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Aisha Uqbah Malik pens a heartwarming birthday wish for husband04:27 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi criticises Muslims encouraging conversion of other ...03:58 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Feroze Khan celebrates his 30th birthday03:10 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020