US enlists Pakistan’s help to track user who threatened Donald Trump
The request for the help was confirmed by Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) on Monday which informed the National Assembly Standing Committee that the US authorities had contacted the FIA last week, with a complaint that someone had threatened the US leader.
However, he said that they had been unable to identify the suspect so far.
The FIA officials also admitted that it was hard to track down people who posted blasphemous content on social media.
Moreover, FIA Cyber Crimes director, retired Capt Muhammad Shoaib informed the lawmakers that it was difficult to track the social media users who posted images showing Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan as Lord Shiva.
Mr Shoaib also explained that 17 accounts had been identified from where the doctored pictures of Imran Khan had been posted adding that about 15 of them were based in India, and only two of them were operated from Pakistan.
"One of the users had deleted the post but the other still carried it," confirmed the official.
On the insistence of MNA Ramesh Lal about why the culprits were not being nabbed, Mr Shoaib informed the committee that operators of social media sites concealed information about users, especially politicians.
“We can only block Facebook in Pakistan but it will create a problem,” he admitted
Upon this, Committee chairperson Umerzadi Tiwana directed the FIA and the PTA to take up the matter again and submit a report within a week.
“If the issue is not addressed, as a last option we can go for the shut down of social media because we cannot put the lives of people at risk,” she said.
In a separate interaction with Dawn News, Mr Shoaib revealed that the US authorities - on the issue of threats to Trump - had been advised to contact the FIA through diplomatic channels i.e Foreign Office.
- PM Imran congratulates Sri Lankan counterpart Rajapaksa over election ...11:30 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan to resume international flight operations at all airports ...10:57 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- NAB rejects allegations of striking plea bargain deal with 2 army ...09:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- At least 11 dead as Air India passenger plan skids off runway, splits ...09:10 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- What do you know about Ravi Riverfront Urban Development Project?08:36 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- A sneak peek inside Selena Gomez's HBO cooking show05:38 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- John Wick 5 announced, to film back-to-back with 4th installment05:14 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Ever since I was a child I’ve had a sleeping issue: Mahira Khan04:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020