Sudan normalises ties with Israel in Trump-brokered peace agreement
WASHINGTON - Sudan on Friday agreed to be third Arab nation to recognize Israel, President Donald Trump announced days before US elections.
The leaders agreed to the normalisation of relations between Sudan and Israel and to end the state of belligerence between their nations,” a joint statement by the three countries said.
Announcing the news on Twitter, US President Trump states the move as a "HUGE win today for the United States and for peace in the world", adding that, "More will follow".
HUGE win today for the United States and for peace in the world. Sudan has agreed to a peace and normalization agreement with Israel! With the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, that’s THREE Arab countries to have done so in only a matter of weeks. More will follow! pic.twitter.com/UHB8H6oaZc— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 23, 2020
The United Arab Emirates and Bahrain signed an accord at the White House last month to normalize relations with Israel but Sudan is arguably more significant as an Arab nation that has been at war with Israel.
Trump on speakerphone with Sudan s leadership and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a close ally of the embattled Republican president. "We are expanding their circle of peace so rapidly with your leadership," Netanyahu was heard saying. Trump said: "There are many, many more coming."
Sudan has been seeking for years to remove the designation as a state sponsor of terrorism, which severely delays investment.
As part of the deal to get off the terror blacklist, the White House said that Sudan s transitional government had deposited $335 million to compensate survivors and family members of anti-US attacks that took place when former dictator Omar al-Bashir welcomed Al-Qaeda.
The deal with Sudan allows for a new future of collaboration and support for its ongoing and historic democratic transition.
- Pakistan among top 10 worst-affected countries on Global Terrorism ...12:05 AM | 5 Dec, 2020
- China becomes world's second nation to plant flag on Moon11:37 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Rahim Pardesi introduces both his wives to the world for the first ...10:46 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- ‘Kiss of death’: COVID-19 positive officer takes revenge on KMC ...10:17 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- realme and Daraz gear up for another Sale Daraz 12 1209:59 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Court trashes Mubashir Lucman’s petition against TikTok stars ...12:11 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Who's this girl Shahveer Jafry 'getting engaged to'?11:55 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Aseefa Bhutto's 'great debut' reminds Pakistan of Benazir08:46 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020