A Michael Jackson biopic is in the works
LOS ANGELES - Michael Jackson’s story is headed for Hollywood from the producer who helped make hit film “Bohemian Rhapsody,” industry media reported on Friday.
Deadline, Variety and the Hollywood Reporter said producer Graham King had secured the rights, including music, from Jackson’s estate to make a feature film about the life of the “Thriller” singer, whose legacy has been tarnished by allegations of child sex abuse.
The movie is expected to span Jackson’s journey from child star to the global icon that ended when he died in 2009 at age 50 of an overdose from a powerful sleeping aid just weeks before a planned comeback concert.
View this post on Instagram
"I felt so much pain and suffering for the plight of planet Earth, and for me, that is a song to Earth because I think that nature is trying so hard to make up for the mismanagement of humanity the ecological imbalance continues - there are so many environmental problems I believe the earth feels the pain and it has wounds. " – Michael Jackson on his inspiration for “Earth Song.”
Deadline, citing unnamed sources, said the film “isn’t intended to be a sanitized rendering” of Jackson’s life.
King’s production company and the Jackson estate did not immediately return calls for comment.
Jackson was tried and acquitted in 2005 on charges of molesting a 13-year-old boy. In 1994, he settled a sexual abuse civil lawsuit concerning another 13-year-old boy.
His reputation came under scrutiny again this year because of the Emmy-winning documentary “Leaving Neverland” in which two men gave emotional accounts of what they said was sexual abuse by the singer in the 1990s when they were boys.
Jackson’s family attacked the documentary and his estate denounced it as a “rehash of dated and discredited allegations.”
Despite the publicity, the Jackson estate is backing a new Broadway musical about the singer, due to open in July 2020. A Michael Jackson show “One” from Cirque du Soleil continues to play in Las Vegas, and stage musical “Thriller Live” has been playing in London since 2009.
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” a musical biopic about Queen frontman Freddie Mercury who died of AIDS in 1991, won four Oscars this year, including for lead actor Rami Malek. It has taken more than $900 million at the global box office.
Deadline said the script for the Jackson movie will be written by John Logan, whose credits include “The Aviator.” No casting expected release date or movie studio was announced.
- PTI rejects Transparency International's 'biased' report about ...07:17 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UNODC, Interior Ministry launch technical assistance framework07:02 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UK changes its travel advice to reflect improved security situation ...06:15 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- COAS Bajwa inaugurates Electronic Warfare and Ground Surveillance ...06:06 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- I’m sorry I take none of what you said seriously: Anupam Kher ...04:59 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- #MeToo: 'Harvey Weinstein raped me', Annabella Sciorra testifies in ...04:08 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy meets Deepika Padukone at World Economic Forum03:29 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- I don’t even think I should be alive: Justin Bieber gives emotional ...02:46 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019