Sindh police to rope in transgenders as officers
KARACHI - Transgender community will now be able to serve in Sindh Police as regular duty officers. Inspector General of Sindh Police , Syed Kaleem Imam, said that it is time to provide more opportunities to a group that is limited to performing menial jobs in government.
The transgender community first got their due in 2009 after years of discrimination and persecution when the Supreme Court granted them special status with equal rights as that of other citizens.
Pakistan adopts transgender persons’ ... 06:11 PM | 8 May, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The lower house of Pakistan’s parliament approved the protection of rights of transgender persons and the ...
Imam said that transgender people are God-gifted and citizens like us. “We should stand by them,” he said. The transgender community has been facing widespread discrimination for decades in Pakistan , Bangladesh, and India. A majority is forced to live in seclusion and make ends meet by dancing, begging, or sex work.
Punjab province has 64.4 per cent of the country’s transgender population with 6,709 people registered in the category.
However, official sources from the social welfare department said that Lahore and its adjoining areas had a population of roughly 30,000 transgender people.
Pakistani cafe starts hiring transgender persons 05:25 PM | 4 May, 2018
KARACHI - In a move towards transgender persons' empowerment, a Karachi-based cafe has opened its doors to hire them. ...
The country’s Senate had unanimously approved a bill on March 7, 2018, for the protection of rights of transgender people, empowering them to determine their own gender identity
This is not the first time the transgender community in Pakistan will be getting the attention they deserve by the government of Pakistan . Last year in April, Pakistan had launched the first school for transgender persons in an Islamic state.
Pakistan set to open first school for transgender ... 10:01 PM | 7 Apr, 2018
LAHORE - Pakistan will inaugurate its first ever institute for educational and vocational training for the transgender ...
Asif Shahzad, the founder of The Gender Guardian, said that the school in Lahore having a faculty of 15 members, was imparting education to around 40 students of the transgender community.
A huge milestone has been achieved in granting transgender their rights in the country through Pakistan’s first ever transgender school.Named The Gender Guardian, the school offers a full 12 years of academic education from primary level to matriculation & leading up to college. pic.twitter.com/n5Y9wDHHRi— Govt of Pakistan (@pid_gov) April 19, 2018
Also in 2017, the first passport having a transgender category was issued. Over the past few years, some transgender individuals have made it to relatively cognizable professions like fashion models or news anchors. Now, they can work in the police force too and it is a big development for the community.
- Iran ready to talks with Saudi Arabia, Gulf countries: Javad Zarif12:02 AM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Imran Khan discusses digital media with youth at PM House09:59 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- AJK snowfall: Neelum, Leepa, Bhedi declared calamity-hit areas09:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FO summons Indian diplomat to reject mischievous portrayal of ...08:58 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi reaches Qatar after conclusion of successful US visit08:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019