A giant ship blocking Suez Canal budges for the first time
CAIRO – The Japanese mammoth container ship Ever Given could be refloated today after being wedged diagonally since Tuesday.
The Japanese owners of mega-ship, Yukito Higaki, have confirmed while speaking in a news conference that around ten marine vessels had been deployed to scour the banks and canal bottom.
The obstacle has also caused a huge traffic jam in the waterway that connects the Mediterranean and Red seas providing the direct route between Asia and Europe.
Meanwhile, United States had also offered assistance to get the canal reopened as they were tracking the situation very closely. Suez blockage affects shipping schedules around the world, US officials believe. The blockage is estimated to be holding up goods around 9.6 billion USD per day in the canal that is almost 12 percent of the overall global trade.
It all started on Saturday; the 400-meter-long vessel ran around when the crew lost visibility due to a sandstorm that caused a huge bottleneck.
- PPP leader Wajid Shamsul Hasan passes away01:42 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- and they lived, HAPPILY EVER AFTER!01:11 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan urges world to unfreeze Afghanistan’s assets01:00 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- NCOC decides to start vaccinating children aged 12 years and above12:42 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra sparks memes after her Paris video goes viral06:26 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Maryam Nawaz and Kubra Khan look stunning in similar outfits06:04 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Ertugrul actress Hande Subaşı's singing video goes viral04:25 PM | 27 Sep, 2021