Egyptian singer sentenced to prison for insulting River Nile
In 2016, at a concert in UAE a fan asked her to play the song, "Have You Drunk from The Nile?"
With which Sherine had responded, "No, you'd get Bilharzia (a parasitic disease schistosomiasis which was once wide spread in Egypt). Drink Evian, it's better!"
The video became viral on social media, drawing criticism and a lawsuit from an Egyptian lawyer.
The Egyptian court has convicted Sherine of spreading 'false news'. The officials of the court have said that she would be freed on bail pending an appeal.
The singer has apologized on Facebook in a post.
The Egyptian government has worked with World Health Organization to plan and eliminate Bilharzia from its waters, including through medication programs.
- Inzamam discharged from hospital after heart procedure12:35 AM | 29 Sep, 2021
- Britain puts army on standby as fuel supply crisis deepens amid panic ...11:37 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Security forces kill 10 terrorists including four commanders in ...10:49 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Taliban warn US, others against ‘encroaching on Afghan airspace’10:26 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Imran’s cabinet announces major decision about moon sighting ...09:48 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- American superstar R. Kelly found guilty in sex trafficking trial04:59 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Watch - Ali Zafar shares BTS fun video from ‘Larsha Pekhawar’ ...03:00 PM | 28 Sep, 2021