Gary Neville poked fun at Egyptian footballer Mohammad Salah and received a hilarious amount of backlash
It all began with this tweet:
He was simply asked which player he thought from the Liverpool FC team would be a good fit for rival Manchester United. He replied with a negative, stating none of them would be appropriate, however, Mohamed Salah would be good for Salford City FC instead.
This sparked outrage in Salah's home country and his fans all over the Arab region responded rather inventively.
Some responded rather sarcastically:
This explains why u have no eyes in ur profile pic— Proud Saudi (@dode178) February 26, 2018
While others were confused at the statement itself:
What do u say pic.twitter.com/hEo2kk0THp— elbalady (@MahmoudElbalady) February 26, 2018
Some were ready to fight!
لا هاتغلط هانغلط، مش عاوزين غلط بالصلاة ع النبي! 😁 pic.twitter.com/IY51H4gxmT— بركوتّة يحتفل بالكوبا والدوري 🏹🇦🇹 🏆🇦🇷 (@B_4_Barakotta) February 26, 2018
"You're making a mistake. Leave Salah alone for us to leave you alone."
that's why Valencia sacked you after only 4 months, you know nothing about football & salah alone better than your whole boring team— Eslam (@Eslam_Ahmd) February 26, 2018
Others were absolutely relentless:
This just goes to show, you can't bring in a well loved and skilled player into a debate without knowing the repercussions!
- Five dead in second deadly bombing in Jalalabad in two days11:02 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Sindh govt to arrest unvaccinated people in line with NCOC orders10:17 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Navjot Sidhu in race for Indian Punjab CM after Amarinder Singh's ...07:37 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- UNGA session: PM Imran to address the world's biggest diplomatic ...07:10 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan calls up players for National T20 after New Zealand ...06:44 PM | 19 Sep, 2021
- Saeeda Imtiaz’s new bold photos draw severe public criticism03:03 PM | 19 Sep, 2021