Brother of Sri Lankan president killed in axe attack
Priyantha Sirisena suffered severe head injuries in his hometown of Polonnaruwa, north-east of the capital Colombo, an international news agency reported on Saturday.
Colombo Gazette reports there was a "private dispute" and a man has been arrested.
The president is out of the country on a state visit to China.
His youngest brother, a businessman and father of three, was attacked on Thursday evening "during an altercation with a friend" said a government statement.
He was flown to Colombo to be treated for head injuries but despite surgery he died on Saturday, said doctors.
Official sources have said Priyantha Sirisena, 42, was the youngest in a family of 12 children.
President Sirisena came to power following bitterly fought January presidential elections.
Unlike most former Sri Lankan leaders, he has not extended personal security for his siblings and is known to have drastically scaled down his own protection unit.
- Pakistan’s Arshad Nadeem wins javelin gold with career best throw ...11:06 PM | 8 Aug, 2022
- British investigators launch probe into 'misuse' of charity funds by ...10:24 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan slams Indian ludicrous comments against OIC’s remarks on ...09:28 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Interior Minister says ‘performers giving Islamic touch now in need ...08:51 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Sakina Samo's directorial debut to hit cinemas later this month03:51 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Natasha Ali Lakhani’s new bold photos break the internet03:28 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani stars celebrate Eidul-Adha in style06:20 PM | 10 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022