Clarke to retire from ODIs after World Cup 2015 final
"I think it's the right time for me and the Australian cricket team," the 33-year-old told reporters.
He said he made the decision 48 hours ago, having said last week he did not think he would quit .
He has a long-term back problem and has struggled with hamstring injuries.
Clarke has played 244 one-day internationals, scoring 7,907 runs with a highest score of 130.
He intends to prolong his Test career having already played 108 matches with 8,432 runs and a highest score of 329 not out.
"I made the decision 48 hours ago when I asked myself if I thought I would be playing in the next World Cup and I said to myself that I don't think I will be," he said.
He added: "I think it's the right time for me. A lot of it is giving the next captain and the team the opportunity to prepare and the selectors to work out what they feel is their best squad for the next World Cup.”
“I leave the one-day team in a better place than when I took over the captaincy and it gives me my best chance to prolong my Test career. They are the three main reasons why I have decided to walk away from one-day cricket," he added.
Clarke said it was not for him to go into who should be Australia's next one-day captain, although Steve Smith has been mentioned after he took over for the last three Tests against India in Clarke's recent absence following hamstring surgery.
"Smithy has certainly matured as a player and a person," Clarke said.
"His form is because of his hard work and I am not surprised that he is scoring as many runs as he is because he's training extremely hard and he's worked hard on his game. He's learnt a lot about his game. I don't think it would be fair for me to say who's going to be the next captain, that's not my place, that's up to the selectors,” Clarke said.
After missing Australia's opening World Cup victory over England, Clarke has forced his way into the side, helping them to victories over Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Scotland.
- Pakistan PM, Saudi crown prince vow to further solidify bilateral ties01:38 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- British Council partners with Koel Gallery on Art for Climate Change ...01:07 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Amazon suspends thousands of Pakistani sellers’ accounts12:47 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Mufti Taqi Usmani slams dancing performance at official Independence ...12:28 PM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan’s Covid-19 positivity ratio drops to 2.54%11:47 AM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Famed ‘Fiza-Shiza’ actor Kiran Tabier welcomes first child09:16 AM | 15 Aug, 2022
- Saboor Aly wins hearts with stunning photos in bridal outfit07:06 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Faiza Khan pays tribute to legendary Nazia Hassan with a sweet video09:41 PM | 14 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022