Modi: India ready for peace with Pakistan, terrorists stand in the way
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal ahead of his meeting with President Barack Obama at the White House next month June, the Indian premier expressed his belief that cross-border relations between India and Pakistan have enormous room for improvement.
When asked what led to the thaw with Pakistan, particularly his decision to meet Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in Lahore, Modi said he sees the possibility of “truly cordial and meaningful” relations to develop between the two “historic rivals”, provided that Pakistan takes effective measures against terrorist activities on its soil.
“I have said that the future that I wish for India is the future that I dream for my neighbours. My visit to Lahore was a clear projection of this belief," he said.
“I have always maintained that instead of fighting with each other, [India and Pakistan] should together fight against poverty. Naturally we expect Pakistan to play its part,” he added.
However, the Indian premier stressed that there could not be any compromise on terrorism.
“It can only be stopped if all support to terrorism, whether state or non-state is completely stopped. Pakistan’s failure to take effective action in punishing the perpetrators of terror attacks limits the forward progress in our ties,” he explained.
Modi added: “We are ready to take the first step, but the path to peace is a two-way street.”
- Aman-2021 – Pakistan Navy set to hold 7th Multinational Maritime ...02:31 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- J&K – India approves to build power project on Chenab River in ...02:04 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Wuhan returns to normal as world still battling pandemic01:31 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Bilawal House announces schedule for Bakhtawar-Mahmood wedding05:32 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Sara Ali Khan swings into the weekend with style in Maldives03:56 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021