PICS: Real fans celebrate 11th European crown
MILAN (Web Desk) - Cristiano Ronaldo added the finishing touches as Real Madrid were crowned kings of Europe for an 11th time with a 5-3 penalties victory over Atletico Madrid, after a 1-1 draw in the Champions League final on Saturday.
Two years after reviving Real's bid for a 10th title, captain Sergio Ramos struck the opener after just 15 minutes at a packed San Siro .
But the match was pushed into extra time when Belgian Yannick Carrasco came off the bench to level on 79 minutes.
After two, scoreless periods of extra time the match went to penalties. And when defender Juanfran's effort blasted off the bottom of Keylor Navas's upright, it gave Real the advantage.
Ronaldo stepped up and made no mistake, securing the trophy for the second time in three years to leave a dejected Atletico with the crumbs again after an agonising defeat.
Real, inaugural winners of the competition in 1956, claimed their 10th title two years ago in Lisbon when a late Ramos leveller pushed the match into extra-time.
Atletico coach Diego Simeone had pledged his side, two-time Europa League winners in 2010 and 2012, would end their wait to finally win Europe's premier competition.
But it took only six minutes for Real to start knocking on the door. Gareth Bale won a free-kick on the edge of the area and although Benzema got a touch to the Welshman's delivery, goalkeeper Jan Oblak produced a great point-blank save.
It was an early warning but the threat was real.
- EU to challenge China-US trade agreement at WTO12:02 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Kashmir issue is not an internal affair of India, says FM Quresh11:24 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Two killed in Gujranwala van, rickshaw collision09:58 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan condemns Indian CDS remarks about Kashmiri children09:17 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi, Pompeo discuss bilateral cooperation, regional security ...08:47 AM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Malala biopic director admits he still receives death threats03:39 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Prince Harry makes first public appearance since royal split03:24 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Birthday girl Sajal Aly gets heartwarming message from Ahad Raza's mom03:06 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019