Top Chinese military official commits suicide amid corruption probe
General Zhang Yang, former head of the powerful Central Military Commission’s (CMC) political work department hanged himself in Beijing on November 23. The recent development follows an anti-corruption crackdown that has also jolted the armed forces.
The authorities had started an investigation against him over his links to sacked CMC vice-chairmen Guo Boxiong and Xu CaihouGuo Boxiong and Xu Caihou, and serious disciplinary violations. Guo was handed life imprisonment last year, while Xu died of cancer in 2015 before the start of the trial.
Xinhua news citing the commission said that deceased officer was “suspected of giving and taking bribes”. It added that the source of several assets owned by him was not clear.
Since becoming the president five years ago, Xi Jinping has put a focus on his Peoples' Liberation Army, which is undergoing ambitious modernisation, to weed out the corruption.
The former and serving officers are of the view that corruption in the armed forces could harm the ability of China to wage war.
With the start of a sweeping anti-purge campaign, scores of officers were investigated and put behind the bars.
A commentary carried on both the Defence Ministry and military’s official websites said that the officer committed suicide to “escape punishment from the party and country”.
- Taliban replace Afghanistan women's ministry with vice department12:43 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- HRW says India's ruling BJP targeting Modi govt critics12:22 AM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Police submit challan against Mufti Aziz in student abuse case11:58 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- New Zealand cricket team’s decision leaves Pakistanis in shock and ...11:42 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- British envoy denies role in cancellation of New Zealand cricket ...11:21 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Malala proud of Angelina Jolie for writing a book for children04:55 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Dur-e-Fishan and Danish Taimoor pair up for upcoming drama Ishq e ...04:30 PM | 17 Sep, 2021
- Alka Yagnik super excited for Imran Abbas's new drama serial 'Amanat'04:12 PM | 17 Sep, 2021