US is working on new approaches with Pakistan, India over Afghan issue
The State Department's annual report on its financial priorities for the new fiscal year highlighted this as a key ingredient of Washington's strategy for South Asia that US President Donald Trump announced on August 21.
“Our approach to South Asia and specifically Afghanistan means new approaches with India and Pakistan to deny safe havens to terrorist organisations,” State Department Inspector General Steve A. Linick said.
The main purpose of this new approach was to “create the conditions for reconciliation with the Taliban and a process that supports the Afghan government in providing security for their own people”, Linick added.
160 pages long annual report evaluates the most serious management and performance challenges faced by the US State Department and assessed the department’s performance in addressing those challenges, both managerially and financially.
2017's report details ongoing difficulties in monitoring and overseeing the anti-terrorism assistance programme in Pakistan. According to the report, the State Department has no staff in Pakistan which can verify satisfactory contractor performance or monitor whether required reports are submitted.
The report noted that the absence of staff in Pakistan to monitor and verify the reports was majorly due to difficulties in obtaining the visa.
Accusing Islamabad of harbouring “agents of chaos, violence, and terror” the tycoon-turned-president clarified to increase pressure on the country to stop any re-emergence of safe havens in order to gain regional peace, besides announcing an increase of US troops in Afghanistan.
Pakistan and allies strongly criticized the policy and demanded an acknowledgement of the sacrifices made by Pakistan in the Afghan war. However, the indulgence of new approach towards Pakistan and India in the report by US State departments shows the intent of Trump's administration.
- China terms Australia-UK-US alliance ‘extremely irresponsible’, ...11:25 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- ‘Inspiration 4’ – First all-civilian spaceflight launches into ...10:50 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- UN high commissioner for refugees calls on Pakistan Army chief09:45 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- PM Imran, Iranian President Raisi hold first meeting in Dushanbe09:11 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- FO reacts to US State Secretary Blinken’s remarks about ...08:50 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Faryal Mehmood’s new bold dance video goes viral05:54 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Nadia Hussain in hot water over controversial statement05:27 PM | 16 Sep, 2021
- Asim Azhar and Bilal Maqsood jam together on iconic songs05:00 PM | 16 Sep, 2021