Indian govt under fire for changing Muslim poet’s name after 100 years of his death
LUCKNOW – The Indian government has changed the name of great Muslim poet Akbar Allahabadi to Akbar Prayagraj after hundred years of his death, drawing criticism on social media.
The Uttar Pradesh Higher Education Services Commission (UPHESC) on its official website has updated the name of famous Urdu poet Syed Akbar Hussain, popularly known as Akbar Allahabadi.
The name change has been made in the “About Allahabad” section.
The development comes after the extremist government of Yogi Adityanath renamed the Allahabad district Prayagraj in 2018.
Referring to poets and writers who are from the city, the website says, “Besides Hindi literature, Persian and Urdu literature are also studied in the city. Akbar Prayagraj is a noted modern Urdu poet…”
On the UPHESC website, the UP government has changed the names of all such writers or poets who used "Allahabadi" as a suffix with "Prayagraj."
Akbar Allahabadi died in February 1921.
Here are some social media reactions to the extremist move by the government;
“The Prayagraj-based UPHESC on its official website has updated the name of the Urdu poet Syed Akbar Hussain, popularly known as Akbar Allahabadi, to Akbar Prayagraj.”— Uzair Younus عُزیر یُونس (@UzairYounus) December 28, 2021
Historical revisionism goes to the next level in India’s most populous state. https://t.co/AQUkkvjGAf
The sheer madness of the current regime in UP https://t.co/sxEWxvTPYS— William Gould (@willgupshup) December 29, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:34 AM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 04 July 202208:15 AM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Balochistan's first woman SHO takes charge11:24 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Imran Khan's billionaire friend wins defamation suit against Indian ...10:42 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Hassan Ali’s adorable birthday celebration with wife goes viral04:49 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Komal Baig blessed with a baby boy04:13 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022