Kashmiris slam ‘loot sale’ of IIOJK land as India woos outsiders to quash demographic identity
SRINAGAR – Hurriyat leaders and Kashmiris slammed BJP led government for putting IIOJK up for sale as a real estate summit was organized to encourage outsiders to buy land in the 'caged valley'.
Oppressed residents termed the Modi government’s move as a land grab to dilute the Muslim-majority character of the region, whose partial autonomy was scrapped in an illegal move in August 2019.
The Hindu nationalist government has also enacted a series of new laws and changed the existing one which allows non-Kashmiri residents to buy land in occupied Kashmir.
Recently, BJP and state administration held a real estate summit in the region to accelerate investment. Around 39 MoUs were signed at the Real Estate Summit 2021, in which around half of the agreements were related to the residential sector, eight were for commercial projects and four were for hospitality.
The Govt signed 39 MoUs worth Rs 18,300 cr for investments in residential, commercial, infrastructure and film sectors to foster the growth & development at first-ever ‘Real Estate Summit, 2021'.— Office of LG J&K (@OfficeOfLGJandK) December 27, 2021
Watch full address here:https://t.co/uMtTlcUvSn pic.twitter.com/5EMpqf9Tkw
Despite all the measures by incumbent authorities, land sales in the region are not picking up the pace. India’s minister of state for home affairs revealed that only seven plots of land have been purchased in the region by non-residents since laws were amended.
Former CM and active Kashmiri leader Mehbooba Mufti has termed the real estate summit as ‘brazen loot’ aimed at annihilating the identity of Kashmir.
“J&Ks special status was illegally revoked to dehumanise, dispossess & disempower the only Muslim majority state in India. GOIs brazen loot and sale of our resources shows that the sole motive is to annihilate our identity and change the demography,” she wrote in a recent tweet.
J&Ks special status was illegally revoked to dehumanise, dispossess & disempower the only muslim majority state in India.GOIs brazen loot & sale of our resources shows that the sole motive is to annihilate our identity & change the demography. https://t.co/MhYXEEWixY— Mehbooba Mufti (@MehboobaMufti) December 27, 2021
Omar Abdullah also lambasted authorities saying ‘once again the true intentions of the government are brought to the fore. While offering to secure the land, jobs, domicile laws and identity of the people of Ladakh, J&K is being put up for sale. People of Jammu should beware, ‘investors’ will buy up land in Jammu long before Kashmir.
‘They were laughing’: Grief-stricken Kashmiri ... 02:56 PM | 18 Nov, 2021
SRINAGAR – Naifa Altaf, the 13-year-old daughter of a Kashmiri businessman, who was killed by Indian forces ...
- Former first lady leading 'malicious campaign' against state ...03:40 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- NEPRA hikes power tariff by Rs9.42 per unit for K-Electric02:58 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Dua Zehra’s age between 15-16 years, says latest medical report02:28 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Komal Meer treats fans with latest photoshoot01:07 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- 'Dil Karay' – Ali Zafar’s new romantic song leaves fans mesmerised12:23 PM | 4 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022