'Anti-state' Facebook posts: Lahore journalist's bail plea rejected
LAHORE - A sessions court in Lahore on Wednesday turned down the post-arrest bail plea filed by a journalist who was arrested by the Federal Investigation Agency for his alleged "anti-state" posts on Facebook.
The FIA Cyber Crime wing had arrested Azharul Haq Wahid, who was associated with Channel Five and daily Khabrain newspaper, earlier this month and registered a first information report (FIR) under the Pakistan Electronic Act 2016 and Pakistan Penal Code.
Wahid's counsel Advocate Mian Dawood said that his client had been arrested for criticising the policies of the PTI government and acquittal of former president Gen Pervez Musharraf in the high treason case.
The counsel while presenting arguments in the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge Misbah Khan, argued that a judicial magistrate had dismissed Wahid's bail application without considering the facts.
He further argued that freedom of expression was being suppressed in the country.
The court after hearing the arguments rejected the plea. The journalist will remain in judicial custody of the FIA.
- Refugee Conference: UN ready to participate in Afghan reconciliation ...11:30 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- LHC summons DG Rescue-1122 over plea challenging his reappointment10:48 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- UN resolutions on Kashmir need implementation, UNSG Guterres tells ...09:39 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- realme Pakistan teases one of the much-awaited entry-level ...08:55 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan gets highest-ever $200m GCF grant to redress environment ...08:49 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Riz Ahmed to debut play about his 'toxic breakup' with UK12:27 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Shaniera Akram shares her experience of working in debut film11:58 AM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Jaafar Jackson is amazed by Pakistani hospitality during visit11:55 AM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019