Afghan artist's deceptive online campaign shows world doesn't care about his country
The pictures, however, were photoshopped by Kabul-based architect and cartoonist, Mehdi Amini - who released the fake pictures as part of a campaign to highlight the world's lack of support and solidarity towards Afghanistan, one of countries worst-hit by terrorism in recent times.
Speaking to Facebook news page AJ+, Amini said, "When I posted [those photos] to Facebook, I was not sure they would get attention."
However, the pictures soon went viral in Afghanistan, with many grieving Afghan's drawing solace from them.
"When they found out they were fake, they were angry. Some of them insulted me, saying: 'Why you hurt the feelings of the people?'" he explained.
Despite receiving considerable flak for the campaign, Amini feels his effort was necessary to highlight the tremendous losses born in the war on terror by Afghanistan, which has lost 1,600 people to terror attacks this year alone, making it the most bloody year since United Nations records began in 2009.
"My people need attention the attention of the world," Amini said. "This is why many, many Afghans shared [my pictures]."
Amini's campaign, though original, has not been the first to highlight the world's selective sympathy with regards to terror attacks.
A number of campaigns and images highlighting the world's silence and lack of solidarity on terror attacks in poor, Muslim countries like Afghanistan have emerged online before, but none have become as popular or controversial as Amini's recent campaign.
- Pakistan observes World Tourism Day with focus on rural development11:38 PM | 27 Sep, 2020
- Hindus demand Pakistan take India to ICJ over Jodhpur killings10:05 PM | 27 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan backs Azerbaijan, says Armenia must stop its military action09:33 PM | 27 Sep, 2020
- Faisalabad Police committee to probe Talal Chaudhary attack08:57 PM | 27 Sep, 2020
- Microsoft buys Bethesda for $7.5 billion08:18 PM | 27 Sep, 2020
- 5 Ways to Define and Enhance Your Eyes While Wearing a Face Mask06:55 PM | 27 Sep, 2020
- ‘I don’t consume narcotics nor promote consumption of any such ...05:22 PM | 26 Sep, 2020
- Sajal Aly and Janhvi Kapoor send each other love on Instagram03:11 PM | 26 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020