Israel keeps pushing into West Bank, ignoring Quartet's pleas: UN envoy
Nickolay Mladenov, the U.N. coordinator for the Middle East peace process, told the Security Council from Jerusalem in a video link that Israel is ignoring the Quartet's pleas. "Its recommendations continue to be ignored, including by a surge in Israeli settlement-related announcements and continuing demolitions," Mladenov told the Security Council.
Mladenov said the settlements have eroded the prospect of a two-state solution of Israel and Palestine, the UPI reported.
Since July 1, Israel planned more than 1,000 housing units in occupied east Jerusalem and 735 units in Ma'ale Adumim and other locations in the West Bank, Mladenov said. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government is also seeking additional expansion elsewhere - 323 units in an expansion of east Jerusalem settlements and 42 units in Kiryat Arba near Hebron.
The Quartet, formed in 2002, has urged Israel to stop building settlements and urged the Palestinians to cease violence.
Also, Israel is surveying land on the outskirts of Bethlehem for the establishment of a new settlement. Mladenov said this would contribute to the "dismemberment of the southern West Bank."
And more than 130 Palestinian homes have been demolished.
"All of these plans would essentially create new illegal settlements and I call on Israel to cease and reverse these decisions," the U.N. envoy said.
Mladenov further said the Quartet had noted that Palestinians living in Area C and East Jerusalem were disproportionately denied Israeli building permits. Also in the past two months, demolition orders increased against Palestinian structures in East Jerusalem. The report said the Bedouins in Area C were particularly vulnerable.
In 1979, the Security Council declared Israeli settlements in occupied territory illegal.
- MDCAT mandatory for admission to medical colleges, rules Pakistan's ...09:04 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan set to join ADB’s first ever Energy Transition Mechanism08:35 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Two million Pakistanis to go abroad for jobs in next 2 years, hopes ...07:45 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Bloodbath at PSX as KSE-100 index plummets over 2,000 points07:08 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Tourism Dept committed to restoring museums, historical sites in ...06:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Minal Khan shares a dreamy throwback video from her Maldives vacation04:20 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Salman Khan's family not invited to Katrina Kaif and Vicky Kaushal's ...03:45 PM | 2 Dec, 2021
- Merub Ali spills the beans about her relationship with Asim Azhar03:15 PM | 2 Dec, 2021