Myanmar’s top Muslim lawyer assassinated at Yangon airport
It is not clear if that was a factor in his death. A suspect has been detained but there are no details on the motive.
Pictures posted on social media showed the police as they caught the attacker, his head and legs smeared in blood. He's been named as Kyi Lin, a 53-year-old from Mandalay.
A spokesman for Myanmar's President Htin Kyaw said police were questioning the man detained "to find out why he killed him, and who is behind it or paid him to do it".
A student activist dating back to the uprising of 1988, Ko Ni was a political prisoner and then, once released, a senior lawyer and adviser to Aung San Suu Kyi's political party. An expert on constitutional law, he worked on the NLD's plans to amend Myanmar's military drafted charter.
The military says it is restoring security after a deadly attack on police officers in October last year that it blamed on Rohingya. But it has been accused of widespread human rights abuses, including arbitrary arrests, beatings and the burning of villages.
Rohingya are denied citizenship and are considered illegal immigrants by the government.
- Clerics in North Waziristan booked for announcing fake Eid moon ...07:24 PM | 12 May, 2021
- Cabinet committee accepts NAB's request to place Shehbaz Sharif on ECL05:46 PM | 12 May, 2021
- Muhammad Noor Meskanzai appointed as chief justice of Pakistan’s ...05:41 PM | 12 May, 2021
- PM Imran regrets criticising diplomats in public05:16 PM | 12 May, 2021
- Ali Gul Pir’s parody on Firdous Ashiq Awan’s statement goes viral03:44 PM | 12 May, 2021
- Superstar Fawad Khan cooks exceptionally well: Sadaf04:10 PM | 12 May, 2021
- Pakistani barber offers haircuts with cleavers and blowtorches02:32 PM | 12 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021