SC suspends all rulings on prisoners’ release over COVID-19 outbreak
A bench headed by Chief Justice Gulzar Ahmad and comprising Justice Qazi Amin and Justice Sajjad Ali Shah was hearing a plea against the rulings.
The high courts had issued verdicts to release some prisoners from jails and the provincial governments had decided to free them.
However, the apex court has barred all federal and provincial governments from freeing the culprits.
The chief justice remarked that coronavirus was a matter of concern but prisoners involved in hardcore crimes could not be allowed to release.
He further questioned that the high courts have issued the orders under which authority, adding how they could take suo motu notices.
Prisoners involved in minor crimes should be released, he said, adding that there should not be created panic.
Justice Sajjad remarked that granting bails in this ways was against the basic rules required for the bail.
The apex court however ordered to release the inmates whose sentence is less than three months.
CJP Gulzar remarked, “We should not go beyond the authority in such situations”.
- Lockdown caused huge losses to tourism industry, says KP minister09:31 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- Facebook launches ‘Manage Activity’ to archive or delete past ...09:07 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: 206 stranded Pakistanis leave Shanghai for Karachi08:59 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- Maulana Tariq Jameel suffers injuries after collapsing in home08:01 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- 13 officials terminated over corruption in Ehsaas programme07:59 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- Shahroz Sabzwari responds to backlash regarding his second marriage ...01:06 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- Sakina Samo, Rubina Ashraf test positive for coronavirus12:18 PM | 2 Jun, 2020
- Ariana Grande, Shawn Mendes, and others participate in Black Lives ...11:58 AM | 2 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020