MANDI BAHAUDDIN – The infamous Karachi knife attacker was nabbed from Mandi Bahauddin, Punjab, in a joint police operation, the police confirmed on Sunday.
“Investigations will disclose details about Waseem’s involvement in the knife attacks in Karachi’s Gulistan-e-Johar and nearby areas,” Deputy Inspector General East Sultan Khawaja claimed.
The suspect will be shifted to Karachi, after the completion of formalities, where further investigations will take place, the police confirmed.
He was nabbed in a joint operation by the Sindh and Punjab police.
On Friday, the alleged accomplice of the knife attacker, Mohammad Shahzad, was remanded into police custody.
Shahzad was arrested on Thursday and a knife was found in his possession.
The police said they needed the suspect’s custody for further interrogation to trace the main suspect.
Since September 25, at least 15 attacks by a knife attacker, riding a motorcycle, have occurred in Karachi’s eastern district.
The suspect, evading arrest, posed a challenge to the authorities and caused a scare among the public after repeated attacks by a sharp object.
‘Suspect a thin man, aged 20-29’
Karachi police released pictures — screengrabs from the CCTV footage — of the suspect earlier this month wherein the assailant can be seen riding a motorcycle moments before attacking one of the victims.
“The suspect appears to be a thin man, aged 20-29,” DIG East Sultan Khawaja said, adding that “he appears to be 5 feet, 7-9 inches tall” and usually rides a red motorcycle.
Previously, Sindh government had announced a prize money of Rs0.5 million for anyone who provides the law enforcement agencies with any information with regard to the identity of the attacker.