World

MELBOURNE – A cyclist had to undergo graft surgery after his iPhone mysteriously exploded inside his pocket, causing severe burn injuries on his leg.

Bondi mountain-biker Gareth Clear, 36, was cycling around Manly Dam on Sunday afternoon when he fell off his bike.

I-PHONE-POST-1

Mr Clear fell from his bike and landed on his iPhone 6.

“I hit a part of the phone which pierced the lithium battery and it exploded,” he explained.

As a result, his upper right thigh was so severely burnt that he was forced to undergo skin graft surgery at the burns unit of the Royal North Shore Hospital.

Mr Clear said he could see the metal of the phone “bending” and “all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end [of the phone].” He insisted the accident was a “one-in-a-million” occurrence.

Mr. Clear said he would request the Apple to investigate the incident.