World

WASHINGTON – US Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper has confirmed the death of the son and designated heir of Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden, Hamza Bin Laden.

In an interview with Fox News on Wednesday, Esper said it was ‘his understanding’ when asked if Hamza bin Laden was dead.

“I don’t have the details on that. And if I did I’m not sure how much I could share with you,” he added.

Earlier in August, US media had reported that bin Laden was killed during the last two years in an operation that involved the United States, citing US intelligence officials.

However, President Donald Trump and other senior officials have refused to confirm or deny it publicly.

“I don’t want to comment on it,” Trump had told reporters when asked after media reports.

The State Department had also announced a reward worth $1 million for information leading to his location in any country.

The 15th of Osama bin Laden’s 20 children and a son of his third wife, Hamza, is believed to be about 30 years old.

In February this year, Hamza bin Ladin – who is believed to have been born in 1989 – had released audio and video messages calling for attacks on the United States and other countries.