Int’l Labour Day being observed today
LAHORE - International Labour Day is being observed today (Friday) to pay tribute to the rights of the labours.
Labour Day was first created in the late 19th century when the trade union and labour movements were growing in the USA.
On this in 1886 in United States of America people decided to go on a strike to demand the maximum duration of work to eight hours per day.
This strike was followed by a bomb blast in Chicago’s Haymarket Square on May 4, 1886 that lead to the death of many and hundreds were injured as well.
Labour Day is often marked as a public holiday in countries such as India, Pakistan, Australia and large parts of Africa.
In Pakistan Labour Day also known as May Day was declared a national holiday in 1972 when the first labour policy was devised.
Pakistan has been member of the International Labour Day since independence in 1947. Pakistan has ratified 36 ILO conventions of which eight are core conventions.
- One boy died, another badly hurt due to dogs biting02:25 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Brace Yourselves for the Live Broadcast Launch of TECNO’s Spark 5 ...01:19 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sindh launches online education for primary schools amid COVID-1912:29 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Hafeez urges int'l agencies for evaluating losses to ...11:11 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020