Karachi Civil Hospital's water could make patients sicker than when they first came in
KARACHI: Contaminated water is being supplied to the Civil Hospital Karachi (CHK), increasing the possibility of outbreak of gastroenteritis and other waterborne diseases among patients and medical staff.
An official at the hospital said that there was no water treatment plant at the hospital, while the facility's underground water reservoir had not been cleansed for several months.
He said that the recent monsoon rains had further worsened the situation as the sewage had become mixed in the reservoir.
He added that some small filters had been installed in the water coolers but these were not sufficient. He complained that patients and paramedical staff had to use the contaminated water while worshipers were also compelled to use the contaminated water for ablution.
Hospital staff and patients have been buying mineral water from the medical store but those who cannot afford this are left to use the unclean water, he explained.
Civil Hospital Karachi Additional Medical Superintendent Dr Abdul Qadir Siddiqui said that the rainwater had mixed up with main water supply line and water supplied to OPD services had been contaminated.
He said that cleaning of the underground water reservoir had been completed and soon the situation would improve with supply of freshwater.
- Carrefour Pakistan supports 50 deserving families in Lahore07:10 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Deal of the Century? Palestine rejects Trump's proposed Middle East ...06:57 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- No Pakistani residing in China affected by coronavirus, says top envoy06:39 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan students in China demand government to evacuate them at once05:54 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Woman killed, five injured after being hit by US Embassy vehicle05:45 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Khalil ur Rehman's Meray Paas tum Ho trends worldwide on Twitter12:47 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Bambi is next up for Disney ‘Live-Action’ remake12:32 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- Here’s everything that happened at the 4th Hum Style Awards12:25 PM | 27 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019