Karachi Civil Hospital's water could make patients sicker than when they first came in
KARACHI: Contaminated water is being supplied to the Civil Hospital Karachi (CHK), increasing the possibility of outbreak of gastroenteritis and other waterborne diseases among patients and medical staff.
An official at the hospital said that there was no water treatment plant at the hospital, while the facility's underground water reservoir had not been cleansed for several months.
He said that the recent monsoon rains had further worsened the situation as the sewage had become mixed in the reservoir.
He added that some small filters had been installed in the water coolers but these were not sufficient. He complained that patients and paramedical staff had to use the contaminated water while worshipers were also compelled to use the contaminated water for ablution.
Hospital staff and patients have been buying mineral water from the medical store but those who cannot afford this are left to use the unclean water, he explained.
Civil Hospital Karachi Additional Medical Superintendent Dr Abdul Qadir Siddiqui said that the rainwater had mixed up with main water supply line and water supplied to OPD services had been contaminated.
He said that cleaning of the underground water reservoir had been completed and soon the situation would improve with supply of freshwater.
- Ali Zafar performs soulful rendition of Allama Iqbal’s 'Lab Pe Aati ...11:38 PM | 14 Nov, 2019
- One dead, several injured in California high school shooting11:26 PM | 14 Nov, 2019
- Sharif family preferred money to Nawaz’s health: Firdous Ashiq Awan10:28 PM | 14 Nov, 2019
- Armed men placed to protect tomato farms from thieves in Sindh09:32 PM | 14 Nov, 2019
- Govt removes Dr Saeed Elahi as Chairman Pakistan Red Crescent Society08:29 PM | 14 Nov, 2019
- Kylie Jenner's alleged stalker sentenced to prison03:31 PM | 14 Nov, 2019
- Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas spend whopping $20 million on new home ...03:03 PM | 14 Nov, 2019
- Saddam Hussain is a real hero: Ahad Raza Mir02:37 PM | 14 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019
- Google releases the list of most popular Pakistani YouTube Ads of 201803:31 PM | 25 Jan, 2019