Asma Jahangir lashes out at Supreme Court, Army in the same breath
"I am not in favour of Nawaz Sharif; I always voted Pakistan People's Party (PPP) but also want supremacy of rule of law in the country," the noted activist said while addressing a press conference in the federal capital.
She wished the apex court could also take action against the 'real mafias', while hitting out at the security establishment for controlling the democratic structure in the country. She stated “the people are demanding their basic rights, protected under the constitution.”
About the appointment of a supervisory judge for NAB references against Sharifs, the lawyer said there has been no such precedent.
She was of the view that in addition to capability, prestige and honesty was also important for a judge.
She regretted the language used by Azad Kashmir’s prime minister Raja Farooq Haider after the Panama verdict against former prime minister Nawaz Sharif.
The co-founder of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan suggested that the Kashmir issue would be resolved through talks, not wars.
The activist, who is widely known for playing a prominent role in the Lawyers Movement, said that she also has differences with the Parliament.
- Rule of law must for true democracy, says PM Imran at ...06:13 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Sarah Khan and Falak Shabir's special fans celebrate baby Alyana's ...04:40 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021