Parliamentary Committee on CEC, ECP members’ appointment meets today
ISLAMABAD – The Parliamentary Committee on the appointment of Chief Election Commissioner and Members of the Election Commission of Pakistan will meet in Islamabad today (Tuesday).
The Committee will consider nominations for appointment of Members of ECP from Sindh and Balochistan forwarded by the Treasury and the Opposition.
The panel, which will be chaired by Human Rights Minister Dr Shireen Mazari, comprises eight members from the National Assembly and four from the Senate. The government and opposition are equally represented in the committee with six members from each side.
The government and the opposition forwarded their nominations for appointment of ECP members to Speaker National Assembly Asad Qaiser and chairman Senate Sadiq Sanjarani, who then forwarded it to the parliamentary committee for consideration.
The Islamabad High Court (IHC) had directed the National Assembly speaker and Senate chairman to ensure that the committee reaches to a decision on the appointments by December 7.
- US-Iran conflict to be a disaster: Imran; says war begets more issues09:59 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Top UN court orders Myanmar to prevent Rohingya genocide07:22 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Jazz introduces the world’s most affordable smartphone06:55 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Infinix to redefine Customer Service experience06:37 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Mohsin Abbas Haider refuses to pay for childcare01:46 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Gohar Rasheed to be a part of Nadeem Baig's London Nahi Jaunga01:37 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Weinstein rape trial opens with clashing portrayals of ex-Hollywood ...01:31 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019