Pakistan, IMF to begin talks for third tranche of loan today
ISLAMABAD - A round of talks between Pakistan and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for the disbursement of third tranche of about $450 million under the $6 billion Extended Fund Facility (EFF) will start from today in Islamabad.
The IMF team has reached in Islamabad where it will review the quarterly performance of Pakistan's economy in the running fiscal year.
The global moneylender will also consider the performance of various ministries and government departments, and in particular, energy and tax reforms under the current regime.
The delegation will meet finance advisor Dr Abdul Hafeez Sheikh and other officials.
In December 2019, Pakistan had received the second bailout installment of $454 million from the IMF.
The IMF had completed the first review of Pakistan’s economic performance under the EFF earlier in the same month.
“Pakistan’s program is on track and has started to bear fruit. However, risks remain elevated. Strong ownership and steadfast reform implementation are critical to entrench macroeconomic stability and support robust and balanced growth,” David Lipton, IMF first deputy managing director, had said in a statement.
Pakistan had formally approached the global lender in 2018, seeking financial assistance to stabilize the crumbling economy.
- PM Imran directs harnessing tourism potential to create business, job ...08:29 AM | 25 Feb, 2020
- American company to set up first ever manufacturing unit of ...12:24 AM | 25 Feb, 2020
- US relations with Pakistan 'very good one': Trump tells rally in India10:39 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- Operation Swift Retort: PAF releases new song in connection with ...10:18 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- Jake Paul deletes Tweet about Zayn Malik after getting dissed by ...08:03 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- ‘Friends’ cast to reunite for exclusive HBO max special07:43 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- On Sridevi's 2nd death anniversary, Janhvi Kapoor shares throwback ...02:28 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- Local authorities close Venice Carnival early on virus fears: report12:52 PM | 24 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019