Green tea can cure Down's syndrome: Study
According to reports, in a year-long clinical trial, the treatment led to improved scores on memory and behavioral tests. A certain chemical in the brew has been shown to improve cognitive ability in persons with Down's syndrome.
The positive impact remained for a period of six months after the trial ended.
Brain scans revealed that the compound, called epigallocatechin gallate, altered the way neurons in the brain connect with one another.
Experts not involved in the study described it as "exciting" and "an important piece of work."
According to World Health Organization, Down syndrome is the most common genetic form of intellectual disability and afflicts approximately one in 1,000 people.
Humans normally have 23 pairs of chromosomes, which together contain up to 25,000 protein-coding genes.
In Down's syndrome, the extra copy causes some of the genes in chromosome 21 to be "over-expressed", leading to reduced cognitive abilities and other health problems.
- At least one dead, three injured in Karachi PC Hotel roof collapse ...12:24 AM | 27 May, 2022
- Pakistani, Indian killed in deadly gas explosion at UAE restaurant11:50 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Six Pakistani peacekeepers honoured posthumously at UN ceremony11:20 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Pakistan fail to qualify for Hockey World Cup after beaten by Japan10:49 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Pakistan increases petroleum prices by Rs30 per litre10:13 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Amna Ilyas’ new bold photo from France sets internet on fire07:13 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Fans share their dance videos to celebrate Ali Zafar’s hit song ...05:50 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Alizeh Shah’s new video of enjoying song in car goes viral04:45 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022