Green tea can cure Down's syndrome: Study
According to reports, in a year-long clinical trial, the treatment led to improved scores on memory and behavioral tests. A certain chemical in the brew has been shown to improve cognitive ability in persons with Down's syndrome.
The positive impact remained for a period of six months after the trial ended.
Brain scans revealed that the compound, called epigallocatechin gallate, altered the way neurons in the brain connect with one another.
Experts not involved in the study described it as "exciting" and "an important piece of work."
According to World Health Organization, Down syndrome is the most common genetic form of intellectual disability and afflicts approximately one in 1,000 people.
Humans normally have 23 pairs of chromosomes, which together contain up to 25,000 protein-coding genes.
In Down's syndrome, the extra copy causes some of the genes in chromosome 21 to be "over-expressed", leading to reduced cognitive abilities and other health problems.
- Major university in Islamabad closed down after Covid-19 positive ...11:49 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- ‘Wedding celebrations’ — Video of Kashmala Tariq dancing to ...11:07 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Pakistan to propose March 15 declared as Int’l Day against ...09:26 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Punjab decides to raise wheat support price to Rs160008:46 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Turkish President Erdogan urges boycott of French products07:49 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Undefeated UFC fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov announces retirement after ...10:31 AM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Scarlett Johansson to star in 'Bride' for Apple, A2404:06 PM | 24 Oct, 2020
- IN PICS: Sana Javed, Umair Jaswal share unseen shots of their Nikkah03:08 PM | 24 Oct, 2020
- FIA arrests ‘RAW spy’ involved in target killings, bombings from ...04:14 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- PM Imran slams France's Macron for deliberately provoking Muslims02:46 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- 15 men gang-raped, filmed teenage sisters in Punjab02:16 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Karachi police chief tests positive for coronavirus01:21 PM | 25 Oct, 2020