PM Abbasi reduces income taxes, announces tax amnesty for non-payers
Abbasi, who was flanked by Finance Minister Miftah Ismael and Information Minister Marriyum Aurangzeb at a press conference in the federal capital after a meeting of the Economic Advisory Council, said a decision had been taken to introduce a five-point amendments package on income tax.
The Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC) number will be used as the income tax number in the future, the premier said, adding that up to 100,000-rupee salary bracket will not be taxed.
Those earning over Rs48million annually will be liable to pay 15 percent tax on their income, according to the PM, while cash assets abroad could be brought back by paying a two-percent penalty.
Abbasi announced a tax amnesty scheme for nonpayers, however, clarified that politically exposed persons (PEPs) and their families were not eligible to benefit from the scheme. The amnesty scheme is valid till June 30.
- Income up to Rs0.1m per month not taxable
- 10%tax on annual income between Rs2.4-4.8m
- 15% tax on annual income above Rs4.8m
- CNIC to be used as income tax number
- Cash assets abroad can be brought back on payment of 2% penalty
- Foreign assets, which will be brought back, can be declared at lower rates
- Forex accounts within Pakistan will become visible to FBR
- No one without NTN can open forex account
- Anyone receiving remittance over $100,000 in a year shall have to explain source
A ten percent tax will be levied on annual income between Rs2.4-4.8 million. And annual income above Rs48m will be taxed at a 15-percent rate.
The premier added that cash assets abroad could be brought back by paying a two-percent penalty.
This is a developing story. More to follow
- Ferozsons Laboratories salutes Healthcare Heroes by lighting National ...11:52 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Pakistan Army captain among three soldiers martyred in Waziristan ...11:02 PM | 5 May, 2021
- 100 DG Khan students graduate from US-funded English Access program10:09 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Negligence in serving expats unacceptable, PMImran tells Pakistani ...09:49 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Saboor Aly shares a heartwarming video from her Baat Paki celebration02:50 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Nazish Jahangir sheds light on the controversy with Mohsin Abbas ...02:10 PM | 5 May, 2021