Hameed Haroon sends defamation notice to Jami over rape allegations
LAHORE – Hameed Haroon, the Chief Executive Officer of Pakistan’s Dawn media group has sent a defamation notice to Jamshed Mahmood, popular as 'Jami', days after the filmmaker accused him of rape some 13 years ago.
In his notice sent on Monday, Haroon has sought an "unconditional public apology" and the retraction of allegations that Jami made against him.
"[...] Almost two months after circulating your first tweet on being allegedly raped, and strangely and abruptly travelling outside Pakistan, on December 28, 2019 on the social media platform Twitter, you falsely and maliciously labelled our client as an alleged rapist," the notice states.
"Since then, you have been continuing to circulate this false allegation all over Pakistan, including Karachi and abroad. Our client categorically denies that he has ever perpetrated sexual assault on anyone and categorically denies that he has raped you."
According the Haroon's legal team, Jami issued "a false statement [...] to injure the reputation" of their client.
Jami, who brought a storm last month with his tweets, has confirmed to Dawn.com of receiving the notice.
Jami names the man who raped him 13 years ago 12:27 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
KARACHI - Pakistani filmmaker Jamshed Mehmood, popularly known as Jami, A few days earlier in a tweet, Jami has ...
The award-winning director has been a vocal supporter of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and sexual assault.
- UAE allows citizens, residents to travel abroad09:53 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- COAS Bajwa expresses grief over loss of lives in Sheikhupura train ...09:04 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Private college teacher arrested for allegedly raping, filming ...08:13 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan set to get first ever space museum in 8 months07:09 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Samina Peerzada pays her respects to the late Saroj Khan03:22 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Bollywood choreographer Saroj Khan passes away at 7110:50 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Kashmiri lives also matter, says Mehwish Hayat10:15 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020