Hameed Haroon sends defamation notice to Jami over rape allegations
LAHORE – Hameed Haroon, the Chief Executive Officer of Pakistan’s Dawn media group has sent a defamation notice to Jamshed Mahmood, popular as 'Jami', days after the filmmaker accused him of rape some 13 years ago.
In his notice sent on Monday, Haroon has sought an "unconditional public apology" and the retraction of allegations that Jami made against him.
"[...] Almost two months after circulating your first tweet on being allegedly raped, and strangely and abruptly travelling outside Pakistan, on December 28, 2019 on the social media platform Twitter, you falsely and maliciously labelled our client as an alleged rapist," the notice states.
"Since then, you have been continuing to circulate this false allegation all over Pakistan, including Karachi and abroad. Our client categorically denies that he has ever perpetrated sexual assault on anyone and categorically denies that he has raped you."
According the Haroon's legal team, Jami issued "a false statement [...] to injure the reputation" of their client.
Jami, who brought a storm last month with his tweets, has confirmed to Dawn.com of receiving the notice.
Jami names the man who raped him 13 years ago 12:27 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
KARACHI - Pakistani filmmaker Jamshed Mehmood, popularly known as Jami, A few days earlier in a tweet, Jami has ...
The award-winning director has been a vocal supporter of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and sexual assault.
- Pakistan conducts successful training launch of ballistic missile ...03:14 PM | 23 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019