Transgender woman sold for Rs1 million in Jhelum
Prejudicial treatment, social marginalisation and consequent banishment from the society make the life of transgender 's even tougher; such attitude makes them vulnerable to risky practices; forcing them to become commercial sex workers, begging, drugs use and even suicidal ideation.
On the complaint of Mohammad Nadim (also goes by the name of Neelam), a first information report (FIR) has been lodged under Section 370 of the Pakistan Penal Code in Dina police station of the Jhelum district.
A transgender person; Haji Anwar had sold Neelam for Rs1 million but Neelam was unaware of this deal.
She also revealed that she got to know about the matter from a video sent to a WhatsApp group in which a transgender person, whom she identified as Anwar, was seen signing a "fake stamp paper issued from the Jhelum kuchehri" with her name on it. Other transgenders could be seen in the video as well, she said.
She urged the police to lodge a case against the group and take action to ensure the protection of the transgender community.
Last year, a transgender was gang-raped in Pakistan 's northwest by a criminal group. In another gruesome case in 2016, Alisha, a transgender who was gunned down in Pakistan 's northwest, died when a hospital couldn't decide whether to admit her to the male or female wing.
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Balochistan doctors allowed to carry out private practice in ...05:23 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- LNG for Pakistan: Islamabad to host int'l conference on 31st05:01 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019