Five get jail term for illegally hunting snow leopard
ISLAMABAD - Five suspects were arrested for illegally hunting a snow leopard in Gilgit-Baltistan’s Hopar Valley on Thursday.
The accused, who are said to be local residents, were identified as Muhammad Saleem, Muhammad Malik, Ibrahim, Muhammad Amin and Alim Jan, says Gilgit-Baltistan Wildlife and Parks Department.
As per the department, the investigation was initiated by forest conservator Khadim Abbas who discovered the main suspect’s whereabouts from their social media and forwarded the details to the district office of the Hunza-Nagar Forest, Wildlife and Fisheries Department.
On this, the prime accused, Saleem, was then arrested by the police during a raid. Upon further interrogation, he revealed the names of other four men four who had accompanied him on the hunt.
According to Samaa TV, the poachers were presented before a wildlife magistrate where two suspects were punished with two years in jail and an Rs5 million fine under the Gilgit-Baltistan Wildlife Act, 1975. A delay in paying the fine will lead to six more months in prison.
Two other men were sentenced to a year in prison. According to reports, there are only 300 snow leopards believed to be left in the wild in Pakistan.
- PM Imran lauds Chinese leadership for socio-economic priorities08:34 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- PIA raises airfares for Saudi Arabia flights by upto Rs49,00012:04 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- US imposes new sanctions on Iran’s Defense Ministry09:47 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Pakistani documentary selected as finalist for Resistance ...09:13 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Cavit Çetin Güner and Sadia Khan follow each other on Instagram05:10 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Emmys 2020: Jennifer Aniston hosts surprise ‘Friends‘ reunion04:07 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- Aiman Khan, Muneeb Butt celebrate Amal’s first birthday01:53 PM | 21 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020