Doctors cure ‘Solar kids’ who were unable to move or talk after sundown
Aged nine and 13, Shoaib Ahmed and Abdul Rashid were normal active children during the day. But once the sun went down, they both lapsed into a vegetative state - unable to move or talk - like ‘half dead’.
Luckily the brothers, who were undergoing extensive medical testing in Islamabad on government expense, have been successfully treated at Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), according to media reports.
The efforts by doctors proved quite fruitful as the children appeared to be normal again on Friday night, the first time they were seen playing and behaving like regular children after sundown, according to PIMS Vice Chancellor and Head of medical board, Dr. Javed Akram.
Samples of their blood have been sent to overseas specialists for further examination. Researchers are also collecting soil and air samples from the family's home village in Balochistan for research.
Father of the affected children, Mohammad Hashim, was overjoyed after his children's successful treatment.
The family comes from a village near Quetta. Hashim had married his first cousin and had six children together. Two of them died at an early age. The other two children have not displayed any unusual symptoms.
The successful treatment gives a new hope to the impoverished family. "I will become a teacher," Shoaib Ahmed told media at the hospital, while his younger brother said he wanted to become an Islamic scholar.
- Shaheen Al Jazeera 2019: Navies of Pakistan, Bahrain conclude ...10:36 PM | 17 Nov, 2019
- Sleep Expo Middle East announces first-ever industry award07:48 PM | 17 Nov, 2019
- Shahzain Bugti takes early lead in NA-259 re-polling, show initial ...07:10 PM | 17 Nov, 2019
- AIOU sets up nine new offices at less-developed regions06:47 PM | 17 Nov, 2019
- I was hypersexualised as a teenager in Hollywood: Scarlett Johansson03:10 PM | 16 Nov, 2019
- Mira Sethi marries childhood friend02:42 PM | 16 Nov, 2019
- Here's how fans have reacted to Hamza Ali Abbasi's decision to quit ...02:07 PM | 16 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019
- Google releases the list of most popular Pakistani YouTube Ads of 201803:31 PM | 25 Jan, 2019