New Zealand beat coronavirus, lifts all Covid-19 restrictions
AUCKLAND – Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has declared New Zealand totally free of coronavirus and back to normal after last patient recovered on Monday.
The Pacific country has no active cases for the first time since the virus arrived there in March.
Speaking at a news conference, PM Ardern announced the country has moved to national alert level 1 with all measures lifted from Tuesday barring border closure restrictions - after seven-week strict lockdown.
"While we're in a safer, stronger position, there's still no easy path back to pre-Covid life, but the determination and focus we have had on our health response will now be vested in our economic rebuild," Ms Ardern said.
#LIVE Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern gives an update at this week's post-Cabinet press conferencePosted by Jacinda Ardern on Sunday, June 7, 2020
"While the job is not done, there is no denying this is a milestone. So can I finish with a very simple, 'Thank you, New Zealand'."
She added public and private events can go on without restrictions, retail and hospitality sectors can operate normally, and all public transport can resume.
New Zealand first went into lockdown on 25 March, setting up a new four-stage alert system and going in at level four, where most businesses were shut, schools closed and people told to stay at home.
After more than five weeks, it moved to level three in April, allowing takeaway food shops and some non-essential businesses to re-open.
As the number of community cases continued to decline, the country moved into level two in mid-May.
With all other restrictions lifted at midnight local time (12:00 GMT), the country's borders remain closed to foreign travellers, and rules remain in place requiring New Zealanders arriving from abroad to go through a 14-day period of isolation or quarantine.
- Matric result 2020 to be announced in Punjab on Sept 19, confirms ...11:59 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Woman gang-raped in presence of husband in Pakistan's village days ...11:19 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Nepal to mint coins displaying new political map that shows ...10:42 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- FBR imposes Rs35 million penalty on Justice Isa’s wife for failing ...09:41 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Nawaz Sharif accepts Bilawal’s invitation to virtually attend ...09:07 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Nida Yasir apologizes after receiving backlash04:20 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- 'The Batman' filming resumes following shutdown over Robert ...02:36 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- Aima Baig confirms that she’s dating Shahbaz Shigri02:19 PM | 18 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020