“Dagh Dagh Ujala” performed at US Consulate in Lahore
The production is part of the five-phase Voices of Partition project. During the first phase, Theater Wallay staff members facilitated in workshops to train in proper techniques for collecting stories, analyzing them, and then writing and performing monologues based on the stories and interviews.
In the second phase, Theater Wallay staff members worked with various universities to share their knowledge and training experience with students and to begin conducting interviews of people who experienced partition firsthand.
The third phase involved Theater Wallay staff members reviewing and analyzing the narratives compiled during the interview process to produce the script for “DaghDaghUjala.” After performances in Pakistan, the Theater Wallay team will travel to the United States to perform at Ithaca College of New York.
A sub-project of Voices of Partition entails the production of a documentary covering all stages.
As part of its program in Lahore, Theater Wallay facilitated a series of interactive workshops at the National College of Arts in April.
The United States sponsored Voices of Partition to develop critical thinking skills and technical expertise for university students and the performance arts industry. By cataloguing this critical period of Pakistani and world history, the project preserves the lessons of the past for generations to come.
It also promotes the role of the performing arts in Pakistani culture and society. The addition of performances by a Pakistan theater troupe in the United States means that Americans will see a positive example of the talents present in Pakistani society while learning more about Pakistan’s history and culture.
Fizza Hasan, Director of Theater Wallay remarked, “The journey of this project has been emotionally trying, and yet extremely fulfilling at the same time. We have found ourselves listening to people in a way we have never done before.”
The U.S. government invests more than $30 million each year in grant programs that promote the visual and performing arts, women’s empowerment, and entrepreneurship.
- Aman-2021 – Pakistan Navy set to hold 7th Multinational Maritime ...02:31 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- J&K – India approves to build power project on Chenab River in ...02:04 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Wuhan returns to normal as world still battling pandemic01:31 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Bilawal House announces schedule for Bakhtawar-Mahmood wedding05:32 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Sara Ali Khan swings into the weekend with style in Maldives03:56 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021