Pakistan lends support to Saudi Arabia in diplomatic tussle with Canada
Foreign Office spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal on Thursday said, “Pakistan stands by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in protecting its sovereignty as a matter of principle and based on the historic and brotherly relations between our two countries”.
“Pakistan is following with immense concern the crisis in the relations between Saudi Arabia and Canada and places on record its solidarity with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia,” local media quoted Faisal as saying.
“Pakistan always supports the sovereignty of states and the principle of non-interference in the internal affairs of other states. Both these aspects are enshrined in UN Charter and are among the basic tenets of international law, and the foundation of peaceful and friendly inter-state relations,” he asserted.
Saudi Arabia and Canada were engaged in the conflict after Canada’s Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland called for releasing women’s rights activist Samar Badawi. Later, the Canadian government demanded immediate release of jailed activists.
Saudi Arabia expels Canadian ambassador, freezes ... 09:31 AM | 6 Aug, 2018
RIYADH - Saudi Arabia on Monday gave 24 hours to Canadian ambassador to leave the country and had recalled its envoy ...
SAUDI- CANADIAN ROW
On Monday, the Kingdom expelled the Canadian envoy and had recalled its envoy after the latter raised concerns over detaining activists in the Kingdom.
The Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs simultaneously declared the Ambassador of Canada persona non-grata, besides freezing all trade and investment ties between the two countries.
The move of Saudi Arabia, which shows the aggressive foreign policy led by Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman, came few days after Canada raising concerns over jailing the civil society activist, including award-winning Samar Badawi, called for their immediate release.
On Friday, the Canadian foreign ministry tweeted,"We urge the Saudi authorities to immediately release them and all other peaceful #humanrights activists".
However the kingdom said what the Canadian foreign minister and the Canadian Embassy said about what they called “civil society activists” was false allegations and not based on truth.
The ministry considers the Canadian statements as a blatant interference in the Kingdom’s internal affairs that violates simple international norms that governs relations between countries, Saudi media reported.
The recent action of expelling the top envoy of an influential country in the world give a strong message to the Western government which criticised the Kingdom over such moves.
Samar and fellow activist Nassima al-Sadha were arrested last week. The Human Rights Watch has described the action unprecedented Kingdom's crackdown on the women's rights movement.
Samar is a vocal campaigner for blogger Raif Badawi, her brother who was awarded 10 years imprisonment besides sentencing to 1,000 lashes in 2012.
The recent arrest amid a move of detaining over dozen activist during the previous weeks. The campaigners were arrested for allegedly posing threat to national security and collaborating with enemies of the state.
Slamming the Canadian statement, the foreign ministry of Saudi Arabia tweeted as saying, "Using the phrase ‘immediately release’ in the Canadian statement is very unfortunate, reprehensible, and unacceptable in relations between states".
- Two Pakistan Army soldiers martyred in North Waziristan IED blast09:05 AM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:27 AM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 25 September 202208:16 AM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Priyanka Chopra calls Malala Yousafzai her 'favourite' in latest ...11:55 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Fawad Khan tells how his kidneys 'shut down' due to physical ...11:15 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Abrar to file case against Bollywood director Karan Johar in India09:45 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Sarwat Gillani talks about her cosmetic procedures and wardrobe ...10:10 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Teen sets Guinness World Record for most socks worn in 30 seconds06:44 PM | 24 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022