IHC moved against President Alvi for signing 8 Ordinances in 24 hours
ISLAMABAD - A petition has been submitted to the Islamabad High Court challenging President Arif Alvi's decision to promulgate eight ordinances in a single day.
Barrister Mohsin Nawaz Ranjha, a lawmaker of the Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) in National Assembly, has moved the court stating that the petition’s sole objective is to “strengthen the institution of the Parliament whose powers have been usurped.”
President, the principal secretary to the prime minister and the secretary law have been made respondent in the case.
It further adds that the president signed into law eight ordinances on October 30, even though he was aware that a Senate session was going to be held on November 5 and the national assembly was set to meet on November 7. Ranjha added that the schedule of the two houses is finalised one month in advance.
“Without waiting for these upcoming sessions of the parliament, the president rushed to promulgate eight ordinances in a single day.”
Since coming to power, the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government has passed eight laws through the parliament and the Senate but promulgated 19 ordinances to date.
“The impugned ordinances are not a one-off case of abuse of ordinance-making power. It appears that the respondents have adopted ordinance-making as the normal and routine method of legislation, avoiding parliamentary law-making as far as possible,” the PML-N's legislator said.
- Rangers troops deployed in Lahore after lawyers ransack hospital11:30 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- PM Imran becomes world's fifth most influential leader on Twitter in ...10:51 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Dozens arrested in crackdown after lawyers storm PIC Lahore08:51 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Key officials from Russia, Britain meet Pakistan's army chief07:19 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Beyoncé & Kelly Rowland were sexually harassed as teens by Jagged ...06:57 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Ed Sheeran declared as the UK’s artist of the decade06:26 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Mere Paas Tum Ho scores more IMDB rating than Game of Thrones02:23 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019